Inside the Newsroom

News, commentary, insight on local happenings and fun from the staff of The Saline Reporter and Milan News-Leader.


Monday, August 2, 2010

My childhood was parked on Broadway Street



I was driving down Broadway Street in Ann Arbor this morning after a great early interview with Kay Yourist of Yourist Studio Gallery. (They have some wonderful pieces of art there!)

The sun was shining fairly brightly and an intense glare came off of one particular car in the distance parked on the north side of the street.

As I got closer, I realized it was a Delorean. Not only a Delorean, but a perfect, flawless, manual trans Delorean. The stainless steel couldn't have been more polished.

It was just sitting there so I stopped for a few minutes and gawked, no doubt the neighbors thought I was a crazy man.

To understand my fascination with this car, one must realize Back to the Future was the absolute final word in motion picture filmaking according to my 12-year-old self.

Even now, close to 30, I can sit down on a weekend and digest the trilogy with complete attention and awe.

So needless to say, the event made my day.

But wait, there's more.

Not 200 yards down the street, parked on the same side, was an old Ford Taurus painted to resemble the Ecto 1 featured in the Ghostbusters films and tv show.

Of course, the real Ecto 1 was a Cadillac hearse, but I found this amusing non-the-less given my dad had a white Taurus very similar to this one and I always thought it would be cool as a kid if he would paint the Ghostbuster emblems on it.

I'm not quite certain what all of this means, but it made me slow down a bit and remember for a while.

Perhaps that's good enough in and of itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]