Inside the Newsroom

News, commentary, insight on local happenings and fun from the staff of The Saline Reporter and Milan News-Leader.


Thursday, May 19, 2011

Netflix Dominance Continues


For a while now, streaming and on-demand video has been becoming the go-to way for many people across the country to watch their favorite movies and T.V. shows. For a while now, Netflix has had more subscribers than cable giant and now NBC owner Kabletown Comcast. Now, according to a report by Sandvine Global, what they call "Real-Time entertainment" or streaming videos, live TV such as the NCAA Tournament or on-demand services like Netflix and Hulu comprise around 50% of all bandwidth used in North America. According to the study, Netflix itself takes up around 30% of all bandwidth and prime-time hours.
We here at Heritage, as part of the media, have been turning our focus to online stories posted daily, videos, and other interactive and Web 2.0 style storytelling techniques to reach more reader. With this information, I have a question to pose to the readers of this blog: What do you prefer when it comes to taking in media? Do you prefer to read your news with a cup of coffee and the paper, or at a computer screen? Do you like to watch T.V. shows when the air or do you record them to watch later/watch on demand or on Hulu? Do you go to a video store to rent movies or do you utilize the expansive library offered by Netflix Instant?
Personally, utilize all of these things. I like the feeling of sitting down and making a ritual out of watching a T.V show, especially something that hooks me in each week a la Lost or Showtime's Dexter. But I also enjoy the convenience of being able to watch a show I missed on Hulu a few days later whenever I feel like it in my pajamas with a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. One way that i feel I'll want to hold onto the old times is with book, however. I've read on Kindles and it is not a totally unpleasant experience. but I still feel myself missing the feeling of the pages between my fingers, or ear-marking my favorite passages so that the book will never close again. But this is just one man's feelings, what do you think?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]