Inside the Newsroom

News, commentary, insight on local happenings and fun from the staff of The Saline Reporter and Milan News-Leader.


Wednesday, March 9, 2011

It's hard not to look

Just five minutes into the video, I had to stop watching. The incoherent ramblings not making any sense at all, it was all too familiar. In the meantime, the Twitter monitor on the side of my screen kept ticking along, brimming with comments as more and more people chimed in.

Yes, I was watching Charlie Sheen’s new online video show called “Sheen’s Korner.” I had to. Sure, it was like watching a train wreck but I couldn’t help it. He was ranting about the various executives at CBS who all played a role in firing him from “Two and a Half Men.” I could only watch for a few minutes and then I had this feeling come over me.

Guilt.

I felt guilty for watching it. It became sad to me, watching a man who is clearly disturbed, ranting and raving while, in the meantime, is being cheered on by millions of followers and unfortunately, people like me who watch his shows. I compare it to a party in college. You know this kid shouldn’t do another keg stand because he is clearly wasted, but you watch. Only to see him fall.

While Sheen is clearly above college age, his situation is obviously much more serious. He’s been dealing with substance abuse issues for years. By no means am I educated in the field of substance abuse or psychology, but I can tell you one thing. He’s on the fast track and derailment is in the near future. In the words of one of my favorite Eagles’ songs “Life in the fast lane, sure to make you lose your mind.”

I’m wondering if I’m the only one who feels ashamed when I watch or read about TV or movie stars who are clearly heading for disaster? I know, it’s hard to not to, but what if we all just stopped? Easier said than done, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]