Inside the Newsroom

News, commentary, insight on local happenings and fun from the staff of The Saline Reporter and Milan News-Leader.


Friday, November 13, 2009

On a more serious note...

I'm not always about gimmicky cult media frenzies. I have feelings and sometimes I do things that matter, or something.

I'm deep, deep in the National Novel writing November thing... (read posts below)... which means I'm almost to the halfway point of the month where I'm supposed to write 50K words in 30 days. Right now I'm about 2.5 days behind my daily goal (1,667 words/day). That puts me at about 14.5K. So this weekend I'm going to be making some serious moves to play catch-up, and hopefully give myself some added cushion as well. By Sunday I'm supposed to have 25K. That's a lot of words my friends and I have like 10K to get there... which is so much I could cry!

Or, I could simply turn off the Michigan football game and write instead. That's always an option and it worked out quite well for me last week. Being a hermit is best, and I think I've actually managed to do quite well for myself in this whole thing considering I'm still working and maintaining some sort of social calender. I'm not sure what that means, but it does involve giggles about vampires with girlfriends and the typical ooo's and aahh's over babies and birthday cakes.

I originally thought I'd post some of my contest piece on this blog... little snippets and what have you. But I've changed my mind. Michelle is absolutely 100% to blame for this. She's to blame because, no matter how good of a writer you are, reading the excerpts on the back cover of ANY book sound contrived and silly and will result in her making fun of me for the next 12 months. No really, imagine a friend of yours. Now what was the last book you read? Now imagine they were writing it and tried to explain the plot to you. They'd seem like a nerd right? Exactly, so I'm not going there. Plus I made the mistake one day to (on a very big, big, huge whim) post some poetry I had written as a college student. She's never let me live it down and now at work I'm like the tortured sexified love poet. It's mortifying.

Also, the Ann Arbor area crowd that's involved finally got up to like 850 people before it all started. There are a few Saline, Milan and Ypsilanti people thrown into that mix. I hope they're all doing well, and better than I am! Good luck, 2.5-ish weeks to go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]