Inside the Newsroom

News, commentary, insight on local happenings and fun from the staff of The Saline Reporter and Milan News-Leader.


Monday, May 24, 2010

Buckle Up and Relax


Driving down Michigan Avenue in Saline this morning, I knew something was up. Several cars and trucks were pulled over by police. I had seen this before, probably last year about the same time.

Officers were on a special seat belt enforcement detail. I wasn't worried because I was buckled up. So, as I pulled into the parking lot next to The Saline Reporter and saw the patrol car, I thought nothing of it as I eased out of my roadster. He got out of his cruiser and I said, "Hello!"

He then asked me if I had my seat belt on. "Of course," I said. Then he commented that it was difficult to see because of the design of the car.

After a short awkward pause as I tried to determine whether he truly believed me, he admitted, "I really just wanted to check this out." I had to chuckle. A fellow worshiper of the BMW Z-4. I fell in love with it years ago and bought one in 2005. I know it's well made and is the "ultimate driving machine," but I just think it looks pretty and that's why I bought it.

So, drivers, take note: A special detail is in full swing. If you subscribe to Nixle, a free service, like I do for Milan, Ann Arbor and Pittsfield Township, you probably already know. See the message below, and buckle up, be safe, and don't be alarmed if a police officer just wants to check out your ride!

Hi Michelle Rogers,

Traffic Message has been issued by the Milan Police Department.

Monday May 24, 2010 1:40 PM EDT

Seat Belt Enforcement - Milan - from 5:00 to 11:00p. Please wear your seatbelt.

The Milan Police Department along with the WCSO will be participating in a ZERO tolerance seat belt enforcement effort over the next several weeks.
Tonight - 5:00 pm until 11:00 pm Offices will work a "seat belt enforcement" detail at County St. & Dexter St. Please wear your seat belt and drive safely!
.
Citizens & Police partner for a safe communtiy!

For full details, go to https://local.nixle.com/alert/2286712/.


Contact Information:

Jeff Lewis
Chief of Police
734-439-1551 jeffreyl@ci.milan.mi.us

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]