Inside the Newsroom

News, commentary, insight on local happenings and fun from the staff of The Saline Reporter and Milan News-Leader.


Monday, December 1, 2008

World AIDS Day

When we were living in Hong Kong in 1995, my brother Dan called me in the middle of the night. He said he wanted to say good-bye. He said he was ready to go. Dan died of AIDS in a hospital bed in San Francisco with our family around him. I was thousands of miles away and felt so sad. I still do.
Today is the 20th anniversary of World AIDS Day and I hope you will join me in thinking for a moment about my sweet brother and the 25 million people worldwide who have died from AIDS. More than half a million people diagnosed with AIDS have died in the USA alone. Some 60 percent of these people did not live to the age of 45. Dan was 41.
Check out www.nextaid.org
Our oldest brother's daughter, Brooke is involved in this LA-based nonprofit that helps care for African children affected by AIDS. You can help.
Another good option is www.worldvision.org.
Still, it hurts here at home. I don't know what to tell you. Just, keep your heart open to people who are hurting, even if they are different from you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]