Inside the Newsroom

News, commentary, insight on local happenings and fun from the staff of The Saline Reporter and Milan News-Leader.


Thursday, November 6, 2008

Watch Your Speed

I did something really stupid today.
Something I rarely do.
Something that anyone who knows me well will say, wait, the only time I've ever seen you do this is on the rare road trip while listening to a NASCAR race on the radio and Tony Stewart is making a charge to the front of the pack.
Yup, you've probably figured it out by now.
The person all my friends make fun of, saying I drive just like grandma, was caught speeding in Saline this morning.
Anyone who travels toward Milan on S. Ann Arbor St./Saline-Milan Road probably knows the hill near Crestwood where the posted speed is 25 mph, just before it increases to 45 mph.
If you saw a van pulled over there today. Yup, 'twas me.
Feeling really, really, really dumb.
I was running a little late to an assignment -- and on my cell phone calling the person I was to interview to say I was running a little late -- and the next thing I know, there were flashing lights behind me.
I was clocked going 41 mph in a 25 mph zone. OUCH!
And the worst part is, as I frequently drive this road to get to and from my beat in Milan. (Yes, I'm the person in the silver minivan you've probably passed four or five times.)
You see, it's rare that someone doesn't pass me on this road and I just sit back and hope I'll see them pulled over further down the road.
Come to think of it, in the last two months since I've been traveling this road, I don't think I've ever seen anyone pulled over for speeding.
Well, except me, today, when I looked in my rearview mirror.
I got a ticket for going 35 mph in a 25 mph (a hefty $130 fine for going 6-10 miles over the speed limit, by the way) from a very nice Saline cop.
He was polite and very patient as I handed him about 10 expired insurance cards before I found the most current one. Ditto the number of out-of-date registrations.
I kept saying, I know one of these is the one you want. He just smiled.
So the moral of this post is three-fold.
One, watch your speed on S. Ann Arbor/Saline-Milan Road.
Two, rip up the expired insurance and registrations when you put the new one in the glove box.
Three, don't talk on your cell phone while you're driving.
In fact, I think Michigan should ban talking on cell phones while driving -- as other states like New Jersey have done.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Oh, I know that stretch of road very well. Got pulled over there once myself -- also late for an interview. Never happened again (not being late for an interview, but speeding out of town). I very much sympathize.

Another spot to watch out for. by the way, is coming into town from the west. I had an unfortunate experience there once, too. Never happened again, though.

Another place to watch for is heading out of town east on Michigan Ave. Also coming into town from the east. Heading north on Ann Arbor-Saline Road is dicey, too, I discovered. Only happened once -- never again.

Believe me, once in every direction is enough to learn the lesson. I'm glad to hear you learned yours so quickly.

November 7, 2008 at 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]