Inside the Newsroom

News, commentary, insight on local happenings and fun from the staff of The Saline Reporter and Milan News-Leader.


Thursday, March 18, 2010

Saline and Milan history articles

I'm considering starting to look at Walter Stimpson, the scale inventor from Milan who went on to fame and fortune because he came up with a method to weigh grocery items and price them simultaneously, according to what I've read.

His hotel is still there on Main Street, but is not occupied at the moment. If you haven't seen photos of it with its original portico, you should take a look. It was quite impressive.

Martha Churchill has several in her 'Images of America' book 'Milan.'

If anyone knows about Walter, his family, his hotel, or perhaps has a scale of his, please let me know.

Also, the Saline District Library will host Matt Lee, Director of the Michigan Firehouse Museum, this Sunday the 21st starting at 2 p.m.

Lee will be talking about common terms derived from the fire fighting profession as well as a bit about his museum and fire safety.

The event is free and is put on by the Saline Area Historical Society, so check it out!

2 Comments:

Blogger MI Scaleman said...

Hi Steven - Here it is over two years later, and I see your posting. I am well versed in Walter Stimpson, his scales, and his various companies. Regards, Greg.

July 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM  
Blogger MI Scaleman said...

Hello, Steve -- Over two years after your posting and I come across it. I have extensive information on Walter Stimpson, and I'm guessing you can contact me through the blog.

July 20, 2012 at 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]