Inside the Newsroom

News, commentary, insight on local happenings and fun from the staff of The Saline Reporter and Milan News-Leader.


Wednesday, February 24, 2010

An eventful visit to the Milan Community Center

I had the opportunity to meet with Jennifer Michalak at the Milan Community Center this afternoon.

Jennifer coordinates the programs there and was telling me about the bus transportation services they offer for senior citizens and the disabled, as well as a brand new diabetes support group that meets at the center on the third Wednesday of every month.

They have so much stuff going on. Did you know they offer Hebrew and Spanish classes?

I also met Joan Swartz. Joan rides the bus and counts on the service to get to her hospital visits. Talking with Joan, I found out she was part of the WASP group, or Women Airforce Service Pilots, during World War II. She said she was trained by famous aviator Jacqueline Cochran.

Joan told me she has many artifacts from her time flying planes. I'm going over to meet with her on Friday to talk with her a bit more in depth and see some of the things she has kept, so look for the story about her soon at heritage.com!

Meeting people like Joan is one of the most rewarding aspects of my job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]