Inside the Newsroom

News, commentary, insight on local happenings and fun from the staff of The Saline Reporter and Milan News-Leader.


Thursday, December 13, 2007

McComb to retire -- wow. (and his letter to the board)

You knew it was going to happen someday. Dennis McComb was going to step down as superintendent of Milan Area Schools. I just didn't think it would be last night. I will say that when I attended a Milan Rotary Club lunch Tuesday afternoon and saw McComb put a "happy dollar" in the basket because he got to spend Saturday watching his grandkids, something struck me. I don't know if it was a certain tone in his voice or the way he smiled, but I did think, "I wonder what will happen when Dennis retires?"

Now we'll find out.

Here's the letter McComb read to the Milan school board Wednesday night:

Dear Board Members:

After careful thought and consideration I have decided to announce my retirement as superintendent of schools effective June 30, 2008. This has been a very difficult decision to make.

It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as superintendent for the past 12 years. I have been blessed with a board of education that has made decisions based on what is right for children, with an administrative team that has been very supportive of me and has worked hard for the betterment of the district, with an awesome Central Office staff who has kept me organized and the school district operating efficiently, with a very dedicated and unselfish teaching staff that has worked diligently to provide the best educational opportunities for our students, with a secretarial staff that keeps all of the buildings running smoothly, with a transportation department that gets our students to and from school safely, with a custodial/maintenance department that keeps our buildings in good shape and ready for all of the activities, with a cafeteria staff that keeps our students well nourished, and with a wonderful group of paraprofessionals and preschool employees that truly care for all of the students they help everyday. In addition, we have all been fortunate to be in a community that is very trusting of its school officials, leaders, and staff and has allowed all of us to build a great educational environment.

However, after 36 years in education and 18 years as a superintendent, it is time for me to pursue other adventures in life. I feel that the district is in a great position and the next leader can help move it forward to even bigger and better accomplishments. I will truly miss all of the people in the school district and community I have gotten to know over the years. I know that my last day will be a very sad one, but I will leave knowing that I did the best job I was capable of doing.

I am very proud of what we have been able to accomplish as a district during my time as superintendent. The changes we have made in our curriculum, the new instructional strategies we have incorporated, the technology we have made available to our teachers, and the restructuring of the middle school and high school day are some of the examples. Obviously, I am very proud of the opportunity the community provided us to build the high school facility that has become the pride of the community. But the most rewarding experience has been the opportunity to work with so many fine individuals. As I have told many people over and over, the success of this district lies in the people that work here. They are the best.

Thanks to all of you for letting me serve you for so many years. This experience has been the highlight of my career and I will always treasure the memories I will take with me.


Sincerely,



Dennis M. McComb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]