Inside the Newsroom

News, commentary, insight on local happenings and fun from the staff of The Saline Reporter and Milan News-Leader.


Thursday, September 20, 2007

A tasty visit to Saline High School Culinary Arts

Can you say, oh la la? I visited the Saline High School Culinary Arts classroom this morning, for a story I'm working on about Harvest of the Arts (downtown Saline, Sept 29). These junior and senior students are in their third week in the culinary class (through S. and W. Washtenaw Consortium - vocational tech program) and greeted me in their checked chef pants and embroidered chef coats. Very impressive! Instructor, Chef Sam Musto made me a steaming hot espresso (also offered in the morning coffee shop, The Hive, behind the SHS commons) and hunk of banana bread made earlier. These kids are baking pumpkin and apple pies to sell at Harvest of the Arts. Their first crusts were amazing. I've been married nearly 20 years, consider myself a good cook and decent baker, and never once mastered the home made pie crust. Look for these pies on Sept 29 and visit The Hive some morning (I think they close at 9:30 am or so) for goodies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]