Inside the Newsroom

News, commentary, insight on local happenings and fun from the staff of The Saline Reporter and Milan News-Leader.


Saturday, July 7, 2007

Fireworks Spectacular

If you missed the fireworks July 6 in downtown Milan, I took lots of photos and videos to help capture the moment, but there's nothing like being there in person. Try to make it next year, if you can.

I arrived downtown at about 9:30 and was surprised to see all the cars lining Main Street and nearly every side street off Main. As I approached Wabash Street on foot, I was stunned, as the video shows, to see hundreds of people flooding Wabash Street. For the most part, they were concentrated in front of Wilson Park, six or seven rows deep, for a prime view of the fireworks over Ford Lake.

Everyone was friendly and excited about the show. There were a lot of oohs and ahhs. I captured about half of it on video and then decided to make a mad dash for my car about a mile away to miss the mass exodus. On my way to the car, along Main Street, it was a strange feeling as the streets were quiet, with no traffic, and the sound of explosives firing off in the background and car alarms blaring. It made me wonder if that's what people in war-torn countries face on a constant basis without the spectacular fireworks display lighting up the sky. I can't even imagine. We are very lucky to live in America and have a city like Milan host such a wonderful, patriotic display for the community to enjoy.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]