Inside the Newsroom

News, commentary, insight on local happenings and fun from the staff of The Saline Reporter and Milan News-Leader.


Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Milan mayoral debate goes smoothly



I moderated the Milan mayoral debate Monday night. I wasn't initially too keen on the idea because I really would much rather have been in the audience reporting on it. My stomach tends to get a little gurgly and my palms a little damp at the thought of standing up in front of people. I was fairly nervous that I would make some kind of gaff; you know, call a candidate by the wrong name or mess up the order or burp into the microphone.

None of that happened, thank God, and I think it went pretty smoothly.


The three candidates running for mayor in Milan are Kym Muckler, Rod Hill, and Mike Armitage. I thought they did very well over the span of 2-1/2 hours, answering almost 10 questions; six or so from the audience and three from me.

The debate truly reflected democracy at its best, at its core. Monday night was a sound reminder of what democracy is all about.

Milan's next mayor will face some tough decisions, many of which will directly impact the lives of Milan residents. Milan voters face an important choice. The candidates present three distinct visions for Milan and three diverse leadership styles. It will be interesting to see which resonates best with voters.


Everyone believes that voting for the country's president is of vital importance, and it is. But when it comes down to it, who we put on our councils and in our mayoral seats have a profound impact on our lifestyle, our pride in our hometown, and our pocketbooks.

Milan residents should be sure to get out and vote in the Aug. 7 primary and in the November election.

It's important who Milan's next mayor is.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dazzling Consequences said...

Brian, you did a terrific job as our moderator! Thanks so much for your help in pulling it all together. It was a wonderful event, and I had a blast!
Thanks again,
Kym Muckler
PS--I like this new blog site from the paper!

July 5, 2007 at 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]