Inside the Newsroom

News, commentary, insight on local happenings and fun from the staff of The Saline Reporter and Milan News-Leader.


Monday, July 21, 2008

Saline Mentioned in US Weekly

I have a confession to make. It's not easy to share. After all, it's something I am not very proud of. In fact, it's downright embarrassing.

I read celebrity gossip magazines.

I am only telling you this for one reason: Saline is mentioned in a caption next to a photo of Drew Barrymore in US Weekly's most recent edition. There's also a blurb about sightings of her in Ann Arbor. As you all know, she's filming "Whip It" in Saline.

I thought it was pretty cool to have our city mentioned in a national magazine as a place a celebrity has been sighted. I'll probably cut it out for my scrapbook just because it's so unusual.

Now, back to my obsession, I mean confession. It's embarrassing to admit because I am a journalist and should only be interested in newsy news, right? Well, it's an escape and I know it's gossip, with very little to no truth associated with it. And I think if you keep that in mind, it's OK.

Lisa Simpson, our receptionist at The Reporter, and I both have subscriptions. She gets People and I get US Weekly. We read them (not during business hours, of course) and then swap. Like I said, it's an escape to a fantasy world of more money and time to spend the day any way you desire, not tied to a desk editing copy and paginating newspaper pages all day. A place where you weigh 110 pounds, wear designer clothing, and have your hair and makeup done by professionals every day. A place in which you can decide to jet off to Hawaii (OK, I've been there four times, see picture at right) or France at a moment's notice with no worries because your housekeeper will care for your pet rabbits and your gardener will ensure your lawn and flowers don't die.

I usually get US Weekly on Fridays. What a great way to kick off the weekend. As soon as I walk in the door, I take off my shoes, put on something more comfortable than work attire, make a margarita and read the magazine on the swing on my deck. It only takes a couple minutes, of course, because there's no real content, but what a wonderful couple of minutes. Then I enjoy my weekend jetting around Saline and Ann Arbor, which, from what I read, is where other celebrities hang out, too. Pretty cool.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger SueGee said...

You Go, Michelle! I, too share your closet love affair with all things celeb. It's a cheap thrill. An innocent passion. Thanks for coming clean.

July 21, 2008 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger Michael McVey said...

In their most hectic and chaotic days in the midst of jetting about and hobnobbing with the gliterati, they will treasure their taste of our little town and savor it for years. It will calm them and ground them. They will be happy and comforted knowing that somewhere in the world there is a sweet little place like ours.

July 21, 2008 at 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]